The success of your company website and ecommerce application hinges on its ability to respond consistently across all devices. The degree to which you achieve that defines how your digital brand experience impacts your overall brand.
Responsive web design is the right path for almost all organizations serving a fragmented user base. Let’s face it. Designing a different and specific website for multiple screen sizes, densities, resolutions and orientations aren’t practical or economical for 99.9% of ecommerce sites online.
Let your customer needs guide your decisions
In crafting a responsive strategy, identify and focus on where your customers find value in your digital experience. It’s crucial to think about the shopping path to a transaction. Helping customers navigate the sometimes complex road to a transaction is the most important part of your ecommerce site.
Think about the steps your customer takes to a transaction.
- How are customers finding my products? Search is crucial — even more so on mobile.
- How do customers check out on my website? A checkout not optimized for mobile will hurt your conversion rates.
You put your customer at the center of the digital retail experience by focusing on their needs at the different interaction points with your brand. By designing a website that delivers the content and products they want, to the device they choose to use, you engage the consumer at the most crucial point of their decision-making process.
What are your responsive design goals?
If you’re going to craft a responsive design strategy, start with a core set of goals to drive the project and measure its success. Each project is unique, though we’ve found a few goals are almost always on the wish list:
- Create better engagement for every device focusing on time spent on site, number of products touched, and volume of searches attempted. Bounce rate will be your measure of success here.
- Increase conversion rates by device.
- Improve SEO results. Be mindful that Google penalizes slow websites and rewards optimized sites.